1. Bach A, Gimenez AJ, Juaristi L and Ahedo J (2007) Effects of physical form of a starter for dairy replacement calves on feed intake and performance. Journal of Dairy Science 90(2): 3028-3033.
2. Baldwin RL, McLeod KR, Klotz JL, and Heitmann RN (2004) Rumen development, intestinal growth and hepatic metabolism in the pre- and post-weaning ruminant. Journal of Dairy Science 87(1): 55-65.
3. Bateman HG, Hill TM, Aldrich JM and Schlotterbeck RL (2009) Effects of corn processing, particle size, and diet form on performance of calves in bedded pens. Journal of Dairy Science 92(3):782-789.
4. Beharka AA, Nagaraja TG, Morrill JL, Kennedy GA and Klemm RD (1998) Effects of form of the diet on anatomical, microbial, and fermentative development of the rumen of neonatal calves. Journal of Dairy Science 81: 1946-1955.
5. Coverdale JA, Tyler HD, Quigley JD and Brumm JA (2004) Effect of various levels of forage and form of diet on rumen development and growth in calves. Journal of Dairy Science 87(3): 2554-2562.
6. Crocker LM, DePeters EJ, Fadel JG, Perez- Monti H, Taylor SJ, Wyckoff JA and Zinn RA (1998) Influence of processed corn grain in diets of dairy cows on digestion of nutrients and milk composition. Journal of Dairy Science 81(2): 2394-2407.
7. Dehghan-banadaky M, Corbett R, Oba M (2007) Review: Effects of barley grain processing on productivity of cattle. Animal Feed Science and Technology137: 1-24
8. Ghassemi Nejad J, Torbatinejad N, Naserian AA, Kumar S, Kim JD, Song YH and Sung KI (2012) Effects of processing of starter diets on performance, nutrient digestibility, rumen biochemical parameters and body measurements of brown swiss dairy calves. Asian-Australas Journal Animal Science 25(7): 980-987.
9. Imani M, Mirzaei M, Baghbanzadeh-Nobari B, and Ghaffari MH (2017) Effects of forage provision to dairy calves on growth performance and rumen fermentation: A metaanalysis and meta-regression. Journal of Dairy Science 100(2): 1136-1150.
10. Jarrah A, Ghorbani GR, Rezamand P and Khorvash M (2013) Effects of processing methods of barley grain in starter diets on feed intake and performance of dairy calves. Journal of Dairy Science 96(1): 7269-7273.
11. Khan MA, Bach A, Weary DM and von Keyserlingk MAG (2016) Invited review: Transitioning from milk to solid feed in dairy heifers. Journal of Dairy Science 99(1): 885-902.
12. Khan MA, Lee HJ, Lee WS, Kim HS, Kim SB, Ki KS, Park SJ, Ha JK and Choi YJ (2007) Starch source evaluation in calf starter: I. Feed consumption, body weight gain, structural growth, and blood metabolites in Holstein calves. Journal of Dairy Science 90(2): 5259-5268.
13. Lesmeister KE and Heinrichs AJ (2004) Effects of corn processing on growth characteristics, rumen development, and rumen parameters in neonatal dairy calves. Journal of Dairy Science 78(2): 551-559.
14. Mirzaei M, Khorvash M, Ghorbani GR, Kazemi- Bonchenari M, Riasi A, Soltani A, Moshiri B and Ghaffari MH (2016) Interactions between the physical form of starter (mashed versus textured) and corn silage provision on performance, rumen fermentation, and structural growth of Holstein calves. Journal of Animal Science 94(2): 678-86.
15. Omidi-Mirzaei H, Azarfar A, Mirzaei M, Kiani A and Ghaffari MH (2018) Interaction between physical form and forage source on growth performance, rumen fermentation, and blood metabolites of dairy calves. Journal of Dairy Science 101(2): 1-11.
16. Pazoki A, Ghorbani GR, Kargar S, Sadeghi- Sefidmazgi A, Drackley JK, and Ghaffari MH (2017) Growth performance, nutrient digestibility, ruminal fermentation, and rumen development of calves during transition from liquid to solid feed: Effects of physical forms of starter feed and forage provision. Animal Feed Science and Technolgy 243: 173-185.
17. Suarez-Mena FX, Hill TM, Jones j and Heinrichs AJ (2016) Effect of forage provision on feed intake in dairy calves. The Profretional Animal Science 32(3): 383-388.
18. Terré M, Castells L, Khan MA and Bach A (2015) Interaction between the physical forms of the starter feed and straw provision on growth performance of Holstein calves. Journal of Dairy Science 98(1): 1101-1109.
19. Warner, RG, Proter JC and Slack ST (1973) Calf starter formulation for neonatal calves fed no hay. Cornell Nutrition Cornell University, Ithaca.
20. Warner, RG (1991) Nutritional factors affecting the development of a functional ruminant-A historical perspective. Cornell Nutrition Conference 1-12. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University.